Pages

A Cupcake Adventure

Friday, January 18, 2013

Hot Chocolate Cupcake

Today I want to talk about cupcakes. On New Year’s Day I was craving an adventure spurred on by a post on Retro Bakery’s facebook page. Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. What could sound more perfect on a crisp winter afternoon? All the chocolate and marshmallow goodness of cocoa, but in sumptuous cupcake form. Of course I had to investigate.

Let’s start with the icing. Marshmallow buttercream with actual mini-marshmallow chunks. Smooth and sweet, but not in a cloying way. Just underneath this fluffy top layer rests a small shot of chocolate filling. This is what brought the hot chocolate theme home for me. If the hot cocoa you grew up on as a child had a solid form, this would be it. I appreciate that the filling didn’t overpower the cake, it was just the right amount of sweet nostalgia. The cake itself is a basic, but solid chocolate that stood up to the airy lightness of the rest of the dessert. Delicious.

Verdict: Everything I love about hot cocoa in one delicious cupcake.

This is the special flavor for January so be sure to give them a try before the month is up! It’s worth the drive, especially at only $2.65 each. Of course I couldn’t resist picking up my usual favorites too. The Maple Bacon and Cookies & Cream are always winners in my book. Have you been to Retro Bakery? What’s your go-to flavor?

Maple Bacon Cupcake

Cookies & Cream Cupcake

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. You had me at hot chocolate cupcake! All of these look to die for.
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so yummy, I hope you get a chance to try them sometime! Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground