Pages

A Year of Wonder

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Sunrise

I’m sitting at the kitchen table in my pajamas having been woken up suddenly by some unknown force before the sun rose this morning. Every year I vow to watch the sun rise on New Year’s Day, and every year I fail to get up in time so this intrusion to my comfortable slumber was a welcome one.

Caramel Sauce

The start to 2013 has been a slow one, a morning to be savored. My back is to the open window and the natural light is a soothing companion to the rather large cup of chocolate chai tea swirled with last night’s caramel sauce. A little indulgence to greet the new year. The potatoes are ready to go into the oven and the eggs are waiting to be scrambled. And in this moment of in-between it is the perfect chance to ponder and pray over what I want 2013 to be.

This is not going to be a year of resolutions. I have an awful habit of breaking them and then feeling depressed about my lack of follow-through. I already have lists of goals and lists of intentions. Lists of fun things I want to try and lists of potential blog topics. I am nothing if not an obsessive list maker. And while I do intend for this to be a year of crossing off those lists, I want more out of 2013. I want a year of wonder.

Wonder

As I take an honest evaluation of myself, I have become hardened. I don’t know that I would go as far as cynical, but I have misplaced my sparkle. I used to watch the sunrise every morning and marvel. I used to take long walks with the simple purpose of enjoying the beauty around me. I used to take more photos. This year, I want to find that again. I want to make a point to shift my focus back to joy and wonder. To celebrate the beauty of the everyday. To marvel at this beautiful world that God has created.

So, I raise my tea cup to 2013. Cheers to a new year and a renewed focus on finding joy in the simple and savoring the ordinary.

What is it that you want to find in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground